20 May 2008

I am not the illustrious Grammar Girl, but I do know a couple of things about correct punctuation. I've been helping a friend of mine proof read her work, and I'm verging on a meltdown. She doesn't seem to care for traditional punctuation marks. As I'm sure you all know, punctuation marks are meant to provide the reader with clarity about the meaning of a piece. I could launch into the "cute" examples about misplaced punctuation, but I'm not in the mood right now.

Today, I'd like to personally slap the people who abuse the ellipsis. Let's set the record straight before we even begin: an ellipsis is not a substitute for punctuation. If you don't know what mark goes there, don't substitute an ellipsis. Making a piece that's riddled with ellipses is akin to driving with both the gas and brake pedals pressed. You get nowhere fast, and end up pissing everyone else off in the process.

If you really /are/ that scattered in your brain, keep those thoughts in the brain, or leave them in a place where you don't subject the rest of us to it.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm... I might be one of those people... but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That grammar girl site looks fun. This weekend when my son was visiting, he asked me where his tofu salad was. I said no, sorry. I meant we're having tofu comma salad comma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also known as aposiopesis, trailing off into silence. oh hell, i love both words. and by the way, if i dont see you soon, i'm gonna..., or-, or ***

    kiss, kiss!

    ReplyDelete