22 August 2008

Sooji in the oven

If you've ever made the dish called Uppuma (it's in the book, before you ask), you'll know the pain of standing there and roasting the sooji on the stove. It's a pain to do, because it requires constant stirring for such a long time. I figured out how to cut out all that time wasted.

Do it in the oven.

Preheat the oven to 350F, and pour your sooji into a baking sheet. Make sure that it's not too thick a layer of sooji, or all the grains won't get roasted evenly. When the oven gets to the right temperature, slide in the pans of sooji. Let it go for 7 - 9 minutes. Remove the pan, and stir everything around to rotate everything. Put it back in the oven for another 7 minutes. You're done.

There's no babysitting, or tiring out your arms with all that stirring. Isn't that wonderful!?

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I love your site...It's so great to find a new vegan blog. When I cook Uppuma, it only takes me about 3-4 minutes to pan-roast the sooji...maybe it's because I usually only cook for myself. Anyways, keep up the good work!! Do you ever post pictures of the food you make?

    ReplyDelete